The Jingjiang Princes City (also known as the Jingjiang Princes’ Palace), commonly known as Wang Cheng (Princes’ City), is located in the inner city of Guilin and was built between 1372 and 1392 AD during the Ming dynasty close to the Solitary Beauty Peak (Duxiu Feng). In the scenic area, the manmade sights embrace the natural beauty. The authentic work of the inscription “Guilin’s Scenery Ranks First in the World” is found there. It is a typical representation of the culture and history of Guilin.It was originally the official residence of Zhu Shouqian – the great-nephew of Zhu Yuanzhang, the first Ming dynasty emperor). After Zhu Shouqian was declared Prince of Jingjiang by Emperor Zhu Yuanzhang, his palace was set at Jingjiang. It took more than 20 years to build the capital, which now has a history of over 630 years and is older than the Forbidden City in Beijing.During the 257 years from the building of the mansion to the end of Ming dynasty, 14 kings from 12 generations lived here.
Jingjiang Princes City is located beside the Li River. It is a tourist attraction highlighted by the gorgeous Solitary Beauty Peak and covers the whole JingJang Prince City. Perfectly combing the natural landscape and historical sites, it is praised as a “city in a city ” since the ancient time.In addition to the palace city, you will have the chance to climb up the Solitary Beauty Peak to have a panoramic view of Guilin city. Jingjiang Princes’ City was originally built by the Solitary Beauty Peak. Inside the Peace Cave at the foot of the Peak, there are 60 Chinese zodiacal signs carved on the wall.
Sun Yat-sen stayed there while on the Northern Expedition in 1921. In the winter of 1925, it was established as Yat-sen Park and now is one of the schoolyards of Guangxi Normal University. The carved balustrades and marble steps of the mansion still remain to today.
Over its history of more than 600 years the city was burned down several times, however it remains as the best preserved Princes’ City in China. Notably, the carved balustrades and marble steps still remain. The Chinese Government gave the site national protection status in 1993.
Today the site is occupied by Guangxi Normal University, but remains open to the public as popular tourist attraction combining aspects of Guilin’s natural beauty, history, traditional architecture and local culture.
Recommended Guilin Tours Including a Visit of Jingjiang Princes City
Tour Style: private Tour
Departure Date: Daily Tour
Attraction:Li River, Longji rice terraces, Elephant Trunk Hill, Reed Flute Cave, Yaoshan Hill
Service:English speaking tour guide + vehicle + entrance fees